Chicken is so versatile and is one reason why I love it. Recently I had the chance to go to Hocking Hills on a weekend trip. While we were there we went to a quaint restaurant. I have imagined having a restaurant before and when I walked into this place I felt at home. It had local artist's work displayed and for purchase, was filled with both locals and tourists alike and felt like a place you could relax in. The owners were very friendly and accommodating to our group of ten. I ordered a stuffed chicken breast which was very tasty. Whenever we eat out we are always trying to figure out how the food was made and what ingredients or techniques were used. This was a simple dish with a pounded chicken breast stuffed with a ricotta spinach mixture. After I returned home I kept thinking how I could make this dish my own. Here is what I came up with and a picture of the dish. The pictures were hurried because we were so hungry so this is the best I have! I have made this dish twice, it is very quick and easy and is a standout for company. It goes well alongside rice or potatoes or just a salad with steamed vegetables. Plus it is great for leftovers, this recipe will serve 4 or 2 with leftovers for the next day. I hope you enjoy it. Here is a printable version of the recipe below.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 package of frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 4 slices of brie cheese
- butter and olive oil for pan frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut through middle of chicken breast to butterfly it open. Then separate each piece. I used two chicken breasts as the ones I had were very large. Ideally you will have 4 pieces of chicken. Put each piece between two pieces of saran wrap and pound them flat. Attempt to do this without decimating the meat you want it to remain intact. Salt and pepper liberally and set aside.
- Mix ricotta cheese, sun dried tomatoes (use those packed in oil or the dried kind), spinach (make sure all water is squeezed out of it), and season to taste. You can add any desired herbs here if you wish. Make it your own!
- Take a cutlet of chicken and place heaping spoonful of cheese mixture onto the center of breast. Next, fold chicken over the cheese mixture. Secure with toothpicks. Continue to do this to the next three pieces of chicken.
- In a skillet over medium high heat melt butter and oil until heated through. Place stuffed chicken in pan to brown flipping once.
- Next place in baking dish. Place one slice of brie cheese on top of stuffed chicken breast (rind and all is how we like it), then wrap entire thing with prosciutto.
- Deglaze pan with a little white wine scraping up all the browned bits that may have accumulated and pour this over the chicken.
- Place in oven and cook until chicken is cooked through. Use a meat thermometer to be sure and safe!
|Pan juices are tasty served over rice|
Labels: cheese, chicken, company, easy, main dish, quick, recipe, spinach, stress free meal