Tasty Crab Cakes

     I love seafood; when it comes to seafood I will eat just about anything.  The exception to this is raw oysters.  Eric frequently enjoys them, while I watch in somewhat disgust as he throws back a dozen or so.  For me it is the wet viscous nature of the raw oyster that is so repulsing, I just can't make myself stomach them.  He is always trying to compel me to try them.  Crab cakes however are something we both enjoy.  Below is a recipe I came up for these delightful cakes.  Sure it is simple, more like a picnic beneath a willow tree with the wind slightly breezing through the branches than a swanky upscale dressed to the nines molecular gastronomical version, but it is mine.  I will admit, I did not measure some of the ingredients (thus the palmfuls and ranges) as I was making them so adjust as necessary.  Here I have used greek yogurt instead of traditional mayonnaise, it has the desired thick consistency but also imparts a slightly tangy richness without all the fat of mayo.  Panko also gives these cakes a thick golden crunchy outside layer to bite through as you sink your teeth into the delicious morsels beneath.


My Tasty Crab Cakes print



  1. Combine first four ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Add yogurt and mustard to crab meat mixture. Mix until combined.
  3. Whisk egg and add to crab mixture. Stir to combine.
  4. Add panko bread crumbs one palmful at a time until mixture comes together and is able to be formed into cakes. Mixture will be slightly wet and tacky.
  5. Evenly divide into six servings.  Form into balls by rolling between hands then coat with additional panko bread crumbs, flattening slightly. Continue to do this to all six.
  6. Place on platter and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  7. Over medium high heat fry crab cakes until golden brown on outside and heated through. Season with additional kosher salt just after frying.
  8. Serve with a mixed green salad or as desired.











Labels: , , , , , ,