I love this time of year. The air is cool and fresh. It's a time for wool socks, down comforters, "snuggling" (was Eric response), layers of your favorite team's sweatshirts and jackets, hot chocolate, and of course soup. Here is one of my favorites. It is rich, creamy, and filled with goodness. I love to serve it with cheese garlic croutons, a generous handful of red pepper, and an iced cold beer. Add it to your game day menu and it will be a great score even it your team doesn't!
Cheese Soup print
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock (depending on how thick you want the soup)
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese ( I prefer I mix of Cabot white and orange cheddars)
- salt and red pepper flakes to taste
- cheese garlic croutons to serve
- Melt butter in dutch oven.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté until onions are translucent, celery and carrots are soft, approx. 5-7 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower florets, sauté until crisp tender.
- Continue to stir, adding flour and dry mustard. Stir until vegetables are coated. Allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and milk. Cook stirring constantly till mixture thickens and begins to simmer. (It is important to continue to stir to prevent milk from scorching.)
- Slowly add cheese 1 cup at a time allowing each addition to melt and be incorporated into soup.
- Season with salt and red pepper to taste.
- Serve with extra red pepper for those that like it spicy and cheese garlic croutons.
Labels: broccoli, cauliflower, cheese, easy, main dish, meatless monday, recipe, soup, vegetarian