I love one pot cooking. Many think of the dutch oven for this but the wok also works wonderfully. For last nights dinner we utilized our wok for my mom's stir fried beef and peppers. Just before I got married my mom and I sat down and went through all her recipes and recopied them onto "from the kitchen of Marlene" recipe cards. It was a wonderful time spent reminiscing over our favorites. Mom imparted her knowledge of how she adapted each recipe to her and our family's liking over the years. It was a wonderful gift to a newlywed who at the time had no idea of how to cook. I was more of a baker back then.
I also tweaked this recipe last night. It was more of a question of using up some vegetables before they spoiled. My most recent stir fry experience was at a Vietnamese restaurant while on vacation. They had used celery in the dish which to me was unexpected. The celery was cut on an extreme diagonal, making it look like a giant C. It gave the dish a wonderful crunch and a pleasing aroma. I had some left over celery from making stock and I added this to our stir fry last night. It paired well with the beef. Omit beef and pour sauce over cooked vegetables and allow to thicken slightly for a tasty vegetarian option. Drop me a comment and let me know: What is your fave one pot wonder?
Marlene's Stir-Fried Beef & Peppers print
- 1 lb beef round steak
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free)
- 2 Tbsp dry sherry (rice wine vinegar is a nice substitute)
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1-2 tsp fresh ginger peeled and micro-planed
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 8 oz baby bellas halved or sliced depending on size
- 2 med sized red onions sliced
- 2 peppers sliced (I used 1 red and 1 yellow pepper)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 stalks celery sliced on an extreme diagonal
- 5 scallions cut on the diagonal
- oil for wok
- Prepare steak rubbing with 2 cloves of crushed garlic. Set aside
- Mix soy sauce, sherry or vinegar whichever you prefer or have on hand, cornstarch, sugar, ginger and remaining garlic.
- Slice steak diagonally and add to sauce tossing lightly to coat beef. Set aside.
- Heat oil in wok. Add onions, peppers, celery, mushrooms and lastly scallions. Cook quickly just until vegetables are crisp/tender. Remove to plate and set aside.
- Heat additional oil in wok if needed. Add half of beef mixture and stir fry until cooked. Remove and add remaining beef.
- Return vegetables to wok, mixing with beef and sauce to coat. Heat thru. Serve immediately with side of rice and additional condiments such as Sriracha sauce.
Labels: beef, Gluten-free, main dish, peppers, recipe, steak, stir - fry