Meatless Monday: Spicy Noodle Bowl

Graphic logo by Eric Moore Design and Illustration
  

     Meatless Monday has been challenging to me, but rewarding.  After a review of a few of my posts I realize I must seem like a contraction, going meatless one day and giant burgers the next.  Oh well, at least I am trying.  Plus readers I am honest.  I am not a vegetarian.  Growing up in northeastern Ohio I lived smack dab in the middle of my grandfather's farm.  In addition to hay, straw, and corn he raised cattle and pigs for well.... I am sure you know.  As far as being a part-time vegetarian (if that is really a thing) I am still learning, and as all of us in different areas of our lives am taking baby steps.  Eric says we are 1/7 or 14% vegetarian and for me is a great percentage in the right direction.
     For todays meatless monday, I am sharing a stellar recipe for a spicy noodle bowl.  Inspired by my little brother's recent trial and success of a new recipe, Coconut milk poached mahi-mahi with bok choy, I went asian with this one.  I discovered the recipe that inspired this dish the same night my brother made dinner for Eric and I.  While reviewing older copies of Food and Wine at my parents, I came across a recipe from Andrew Zimmerman for cold noodles.
     I loved the sound of the dish but wanted to use more vegetables including the veggie most recently in my mind bok choy.  I changed some of sauce ingredients based on what we had on hand.  After a quick trip to the store on this national holiday and discovering they were all out of bok choy, Eric picked up some lovely broccoli rabe which worked really well in this dish.  My spicy noodle bowl is piled with colorful flavorful veggies and a smooth spicy peanut-sesame sauce.  The heat comes from not only the habanero flakes but also the fresh ginger.  This dish is quick, fresh, spicy, and peanut buttery.  It is also vegetarian, can be adapted to be gluten-free, and is wonderfully delicious. I am proud of this one my friends, enjoy.  Here is a printable recipe of below.



Spicy Noodle Bowl inspired by Andrew Zimmerman's recipe found here


Directions:


     Boil water for pasta.  In the meantime combine in blender or food processor, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, peanut butter, rice vinegar, garlic, tahini, shallot, olive oil, honey, and habanero flakes.  Puree until smooth and set aside.
     Lightly cook broccoli rabe in skillet for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Transfer rabe to small bowl and immerse in larger bowl filled with ice to stop cooking.  Lightly sauté carrots and peppers as well and remove from heat after 1-2 minutes.  Place in bowl with broccoli rabe.
     Cook pasta in bowling water till al dente according to package directions.  Drain pasta and rinse with cool water. Drain throughly.  Pour sauce over cooked pasta.  Mix in vegetables including raw cucumbers.  Serve immediately or chilled.  Garnish with chopped scallions.
     

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,