Cookies from the Book: Butterscotch Bars


   I love baking.  It is something that I haven't done much recently but I have always loved it.  When I was a younger girl, I loved baking creations in my family's home.  It was amazing to me how I could combine simple ingredients together to make something that tasted so good and brought joy to my family.  I always loved to see their happy faces after one bite of something I had made.  It was the best result, a testament of their yet unspoken thanks and satisfaction.  Even if the recipe turned out less than spectacular, my family was always very encouraging.
     I have been missing my family recently.  We don't see each other as often as we used to.  My parents and younger brother live near us, which is wonderful.  But my other siblings do not, they live about 3 and 5 hours drive away respectably.  The combination of the cold of winter, a lot of long hours working with little me time, reminiscing over baking with my siblings as kids all combined and inspired me to whip something up in the kitchen.
     There is nothing quite like the smell of sugar and butter baking in the oven.  Sweet toasted warmth is the best way that I can describe it.  Mix in some bourbon vanilla, coconut flakes, and almonds to create scents wafting from the oven that are intoxicating.  Eric just woke up from a nap and before climbing out of bed he stated, "Something smells amazing!"  Indeed it does.





Butterscotch Bars from Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookies Cookbook
Print

Ingredients



Directions

  1.  Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. 
  2.  Mix together flour, baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt and set aside. 
  3.  In sauce pan over low heat, melt butter. 
  4.  Pour melted butter into mixing bowl, stir in brown sugar mixing until combined. 
  5.  Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. 
  6.  Mix in 2 teaspoons vanilla. 
  7.  Add dry ingredients, coconut, and almonds to wet ingredients. 
  8.  Spread in greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes.
  9.  Cut into bars while still warm. (Bars will be gooey when cut). Cool completely before removing from pan.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,