After a long day of working on various projects around the house we were famished, and too tired to go out to the store I rooted around my cabinets to see what I had available for a quick meal. Pasta, spinach, and garlic (one of my favorite things) called out to me, but I wanted something with a little richness that would provide satiety for the two of us. I found some almonds as well and came up with this exceptional pesto. I have never made a pesto using almonds but reasoned that they, like the pine nuts in traditional pesto, have a creamy buttery texture when pulsed into submission in the food processor and would be a good substitute. Hitting my veggie cravings by being packed with the spinach, it also had extra protein and the richness I craved imparted by lovely oven roasted almonds. I topped off the dish with some extra mushrooms I had left over after making another dish earlier in the week. Over all it was a satisfying dish. It was quick, hearty, packed with flavor, and another all veggie dish to add to my repertoire of meatless meals. I hope it will become one of yours as well. On a positive note (well three positive notes): We didn't even miss the cheese. We had plenty of leftovers for a quick lunch the next day. Eric and I both loved it. Bon appétit and good health to you!
Pasta with Spinach & Almond Pesto print
- 8 oz linguini
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup whole oven roasted almonds
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 8 oz mushrooms any variety
- freshly ground pepper
- Boil water for pasta, cooking 8 oz pasta according to package directions.
- In food processor combine 2 cups packed spinach, 1/2 cup almonds, garlic cloves, juice of 1/2 lemon, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Pulse until mixture is chopped finely.
- Add oil slowly through feed tube with food processor running to throughly combine. Set aside.
- Slice or quarter mushrooms and sauté until golden brown in a little olive oil.
- When pasta is cooked to al dente, drain reserving some of pasta water.
- Spoon pesto over pasta and toss to coat adding some of reserved pasta water if needed.
- Top with sautéed mushrooms and serve.