Meatless Monday: Horseradish Herb Dip




     It is amazing to me how versatile some things are.  There are multitasker's in the kitchen, jack of all trades, and some foods that go from breakfast to lunch to dinner seamlessly.  One such food impressed me the other day after I mediated for a while about all the ways I have used it.  It can be used as the basis for a meal or as an ingredient in a recipe.  I am speaking of yogurt, particularly the greek variety.  For breakfast the other day I had a big bowl filled with greek yogurt, granola, blackberries and a drizzling of honey.  Then later for dinner I made one of my favorite sandwiches and served it along side roasted baby potatoes.  The bite size, melt-in-your-mouth, potatoes by themselves were delectable little morsels of joy, the largest being the size of a shooter marble.  They were all caramelized after being coated in extra virgin olive oil and salt and roasting at 350ยบ for 30 minutes, but I wanted to make them extra special.

     Again I reached for the plain greek yogurt!  It is so versatile, not to mention tart, thick, creamy and low in fat.  I like to use it as a substitute for sour cream as well, which I am sure many other people have figured out as I have.  I believe any dip recipe that calls for sour cream could be substituted with greek yogurt.  After our recent stop to the North Side Market in downtown Columbus' Short North neighborhood I had a plethora of spices at my disposal for such a dip.  If ever at the North Market don't miss the shop Spices LTD.

Northside Market's Iconic Rooster


An awesome Saturday at the Market: Spices LTD.
     Peruse and by all means purchase some of the many usual and unusual spice specimens as well as various intriguing and original blends made by the store's owner.  One such spice I purchased on purpose with the exact thought of using it in some kind of dip was powdered horseradish.  While adore may be a strong word in some people's minds, for us it perfectly describes how we feel about horseradish.  We adore it.  Eric especially loves when the strong aroma comes through his nasal passages, as he cringes in delight with his hand to his face all the while laughing like a little kid.

  
     The yogurt along with horseradish formed the basis for my dip.  I wanted to make it a little rich and creamier so I added some extra virgin olive oil, so yes it still has fat but at least it is the good kind!  Dijon mustard and some additional spices along with salt rounded out the list of ingredients.  Eric was not home when I was making it, so while eating it he asked what it contained.  Of course he could taste the horseradish but thought it was mayonnaise based due to the richness of it.  When I told him yogurt he was pleasantly surprised!  This would also make a great dip for crudites or even as a spread for sandwiches.  I plan to serve it up again with a platter or some roasted, blanched and fresh veggies.  In a haste to post this one I am at this time without photos but check back later, I will put them up as soon as I can!



Horseradish Herb Dip

Recipe by Jordan
Ingredients
Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients in medium sized bowl until throughly combined.
  2. Served with a variety of vegetables roasted, blanched and fresh. May also be used as a sandwich spread.




Labels: , , , , , ,